GERIATRIC SERVICES OF MINNESOTA (GSM)
We offer a physician who is devoted to caring for the frail and elderly patient. Our care is patient-centered and physician-driven. We deliver a
personalized model of primary medical care where the patient resides. In other words, we come to you.
We believe the frail and elderly deserve specialized care directed by an accessible physician with expertise in geriatrics.
We recognize that emotional and spiritual issues are part of overall health.
We respect the importance of providing continuity of care during all transitions of medical care.
A service developed to improve outcomes for patients who need a short term stay in the nursing home after surgery or an acute illness. Our short stay service
- On-site physician evaluation at time of nursing home admission (within 24-72 hours).
- Improved care by reducing phone management of the patient.
- Direct access to physician for nursing home staff (similar to a hospital physician/nurse model).
- A multidisciplinary professional team which includes the: Social Worker, Nurse Manager, Rehabilitation Professional and Geriatrician.
- Twice a week team meetings to outline goals of care and the steps to make them happen.
- Discharge summary to the primary physician with specific Geriatric-based recommendations.
- Recommendations and facilitation of services needed to keep the patient safe and functioning at a maximum level in their community.
LONG TERM CARE
Long Term Care began in 2002 and has grown through reputation alone. It features:
- Physician-led family conferences for all residents. We get to know the patients and their loved-ones personally.
- Clearly outlined goals of care and treatment plans developed to respect them.
- Dedicated Geriatricians available daily to direct care.
- Nursing triage assigned to nursing home staff exclusively.
- Medication review by a Geriatrician to address complex pharmacy issues in the elderly.
- Geriatric Nurse Practitioners available to guide care plans and respond to acute illnesses.
- Specialized after-hours coverage provided by Geriatricians.
- Medical training to families, physicians in-training and nursing home staff provided by our physicians and Geriatric Nurse Practitioners.
PHYSICIAN CASE MANAGEMENT (PCM)
This special program serves elderly who live in the community and who suffer from chronic illnesses. PCM is available through specific health
plans. This service includes:
- Home-based medical care by a primary Physician.
- Physician-led conferences and Advance Care Plans to honor and respect wishes of patients and their families.
- Designated Geriatric triage dedicated to the team.
- Specialized after-hours call coverage provided by Geriatricians.
- Physician / Nurse team care coordination.
Our providers accept Medicare, most health plans and private insurance.
Geriatric Services Providers:
|Nicholas J. Schneeman, M.D.
Scott J. Fairbairn, M.D.
Brian J. Dixon, M.D.
Ruth K. Fothergill, M.D.
Robert J. Helgren, M.D.
Barry J. Larson, M.D.
Thomas K. Pettus, M.D.
Michael E. Pinchback, M.D.
George Schoephoerster, M.D.
Douglas Watkins, M.D.
Laurie S. Azine, D.O.
| Melanie Ashfeld, G.N.P.
Renee Doering, G.N.P.
Amy Foster, G.N.P.
Krista Haralson, G.N.P.
Barbara McGlennen, G.N.P.
Bari Resnick, G.N.P.
Melissa Sorenson, G.N.P.
Elizabeth Toth, G.N.P.
Medical care is provided onsite in these facilities:
LONG TERM CARE
SHORT STAY SERVICES
Return to the top of this page.